Biometric Examiner Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Clarksburg, WV, US
- Are you an experienced fingerprint examiner that is looking for a new opportunity to work in a fast paced, high throughput environment that presents daily challenges to allow you to fully utilize your fingerprint examination experience as well as your multi-tasking ability? Are you interested in applying these unique technical skills daily in support of the Department of Defense (DoD) Warfighter? Are you interested in being trained on a new emerging biometric examination skillset, facial and iris identification? If so, the Biometric Examiner position on the Ideal Innovations, Inc. Defense Forensic Science Center (DFSC) Biometric Operations Directorate (BOD) Examination Services Support (ESS) contract is the perfect position for you.
- Working within a unique 100% digital environment, the Biometric Examiners on the ESS contract work both independently and often as a team to work through individual biometric examination requests and/or routine casework.
- The ESS Biometric Examiner position is unique because of the unique mission that it serves. Given that the operation is a 100% digital operation, the ESS Biometric Examiners play an important role in supporting DoD customers to build and search biometric files through DoD ABIS and often perform complex examinations on extremely fragmented friction ridge detail impressions and differing quality of facial and iris images. This requires experienced fingerprint examiners to transform and utilize previously learned non-digital comparison skills into a digital environment, while also being trained to competency on facial and iris identifications. The ESS Biometric Examiners are also trained to perform case reception/administrative tasks to help serve on the ESS biometric technician operations as necessary.
- The ESS Biometric Examiner will be working on the front lines, performing biometric examinations, comparisons and effecting identifications to help serve the DoD Warfighter and protecting the United States of America.
- The ESS Biometric Examiner candidate will have the opportunity to hone their skills in using the Microsoft Office Suite and Windows through day-to-day operational work. The ESS Biometric Examiner will have the opportunity to become proficient in using Adobe Photoshop to format fingerprint, palm print, facial and iris images for searching purposes, as well as utilizing such programs as Lakota Whorl and Aware Forensic Workbench to help complete necessary tasks to support the Warfighter. The ESS Biometric Examiner will receive unique training to become competent in performing facial and iris examinations.
The Defense Forensic Science Center (DFSC) Biometrics Operation Directorate (BOD) Examination Services section is a 100% digital operation. Therefore, the typical day for a Biometric Examiner consists of working on a Windows 10 computer performing biometric examinations and comparisons as part of completing internal DFSC BOD and/or external customer request and casework.
- Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Preparation of biometric files (fingerprints, palm prints, facial images and/or iris images) for entry into DoD ABIS through digital imaging techniques to enhance and maintain integrity of the images
- Monitor queue applications to resolve DoD ABIS yellow resolve transactions
- Manual comparison (on screen) of available biometrics with candidate biometrics retrieved from the DoD ABIS to eliminate individuals or effect positive identifications
- Verification of fingerprints to validate the correct sequence and orientation
- Perform manual biometric comparisons for the purpose of identity deconfliction at the request of DFSC BOD customers
- Utilize a case management/database portal system to properly document case notes and metrics as well as prepare reports to communicate results to the submitting customer
- Maintain digital Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and Work Instructions (WIs)
- Education and Experience Requirements: Associate degree and 2 years related work experience, OR High School diploma/GED and 7 years related work experience.
- Must possess excellent/written communication and good decision-making skills, be customer and detail oriented.
- Possess AFIS experience.
- Intermediate level competency in Adobe Photoshop and Microsoft Office Suite programs (Word, Excel and Outlook) is a necessity.
- Be able to obtain/maintain DoD Secret Clearance as well as continued FBI CJIS campus access clearance.
- Must be able to successfully pass proficiency testing prior to and periodically during employment with the company.
- Be willing to relocate or commute to the Clarksburg, WV area.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Current certification by the International Association for Identification (IAI) as a Certified Tenprint Examiner.
- Prior facial and/or iris examination experience.
- Digital imaging processing tool experience.
Physical Job Requirements
Meet physical demands of working in a general office environment to include long hours working at a computer, either sitting or standing.
Position Type Shift Information:
- Must be willing to work shifts (10-12 hours) based on a 24/7, 365 days a year schedule to include nights, weekends and holidays.
- Candidates will have option of working either 10 or 12 hour days for indefinite period of time depending on coverage requirements. Shift times are flexible and are up to discretion of management based off needs of operation.
- Day: 5a-5p, 5a-3p, 7a-5p or 7a-7p
- Afternoon: 3p-3a
- Evening: 5p-5a
Clearance: Interim Secret. US citizenship required.