Electrical/RF Hardware Engineer Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Ideal Innovations, Inc.
Adelphi, MD, US
- In this multi-year project, you will help develop a state-of-the-art radar system that uses non-linear junction detection to find threat objects before they can cause harm. The system will help solve an urgent need to protect US military and civilian personnel abroad and at home.
- You will be part of a dynamic team of engineers, scientists and radar specialists. You will work in one of the nation’s premier laboratories alongside top-notch talent from the civilian, contractor and military sectors, and you will have access to advanced test equipment and analysis software. Attire is generally “business casual” in an office that is serious about good coffee!
- Nonlinear radar has proven to be a viable means of detecting devices that contain electrical nonlinearities. Electrical nonlinearities are present in dissimilar metals, metal-to-oxide junctions, semiconductors and more. In this project, your team will develop and test a prototype of a linear and nonlinear synthetic aperture radar (SAR) system capable of imaging linear and nonlinear targets. You will also expand a larger body of knowledge that will help your system become a critical component of a system-of-systems (SoS) for even greater effectiveness.
- By applying your hands-on knowledge of circuit board design, RF components, and non-linear electronics, you will play a direct role in transitioning this technology from the laboratory to the battlefield. This is not about analyzing coverage maps for cell towers; you will be designing custom circuit boards and creating something brand-new.
- In this role, you will build your strengths in RF engineering, systems engineering, and system testing. You will be exposed to new analysis tools, test equipment, and test methods. Each day will present a new opportunity to learn and grow. Professional development is encouraged and expected at I-3.
A typical day will be spent in the office and lab, involving a wide variety of activities such as design and analysis, testing and evaluation of hardware components, customer meetings and design review meetings. At other times, you and the team will travel to military test ranges to conduct site visits and tests.
- Analyze hardware components such as RFSoC (Radio Frequency System-on-Chip) boards
- Develop, build, test and evaluate radar and RF systems, subsystems and components
- Provide support for field experiments, demonstrations and tests of RF systems at locations within the Contiguous United States (CONUS) to gather data and validate performance
- Analyze and process collected signals and data; Develop and present technical briefings and reports
- MS with 5+ years of experience
- Solid background in designing, building and testing RF systems at the circuit-board level.
- Hands-on experience with advanced bench test equipment such as spectrum analyzers and arbitrary waveform generators.
- Hands-on experience with engineering software such as MATLAB, Python, NI LabVIEW including FPGA, Keysight SystemVue, Keysight ADS and/or VHDL.
- Working familiarity with data analysis and signal processing in MATLAB and/or Python. Excellent spoken and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- PhD with 3+ years of experience is strongly preferred.
- Familiarity with
- SDR (software-defined radio) systems.
- Theory of electrical nonlinearities and nonlinear junction detectors.
- Filtering and maximizing dynamic range for RF transceivers.
- Radar systems including SAR.
Travel: Must be able to travel to test ranges in CONUS for 3-5 days at a time (total travel less than 10% per year).
Physical Job Requirements: Ability to operate laboratory equipment and manipulate small items such as cables and electronic components.
Shift Work: We anticipate a typical daytime office schedule.
Who We Are
Our company values innovative and intuitive people who want to help identify and develop creative, unconventional solutions for our clients.
Ideal Innovations Inc. is a service-disabled veteran-owned company specializing in innovative solutions to our client’s most difficult challenges utilizing biometrics, forensics, scientific and I/T SMEs. We staff the greatest number of contractors to the Defense Forensics and Biometrics Agency (DFBA) Biometrics Operations Division (BOD) in Clarksburg, West Virginia.
At Ideal Innovations, we are:
Innovators of creative services, solutions and products for our clients.
Intuitive to our client’s needs and desires.
Identifiers of unconventional, rapid solutions for our client’s challenges.
What We Offer+ Learning & Development
You will be encouraged to reach your full potential. You will be provided the resources to grow professionally & enhance your skills through Tuition Reimbursement & LinkedIn Learning (with unlimited access to 13,000 online training courses and videos)
You will work with very innovative and intuitive people. You will enjoy collaborating on teams that identify and develop the most impressive thought-provoking solutions and products for our clients.
You will experience the flexibility needed to balance work and manage your personal life while accomplishing great things both professionally and personally.
You will receive competitive compensation with access to a comprehensive benefits package to include generous paid time off/paid holidays and lucrative 401(k) matching with 100% vesting at the completion of your first year, plus a host of other perks.
You will be recognized & rewarded for achieving ground breaking results that lead to the continued success & growth of the company.
Meet Our Veterans
As a veteran-owned business, we understand the military culture and the qualities it takes to make it into any of the Services. Veterans are mature, reliable and honest. They know how to get along with fellow employees and customers, and truly understand what it means to be part of a team. They take pride in their work, and always get the job done while providing the truthful feedback it takes to make the right business decisions for our organization.
President & Chief Executive Officer