Firearms/Toolmarks Examiner Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Forest Park, GA, US
Current US Secret Clearance
NOTE: Work location is Atlanta, GA and OCONUS
- Dynamic forensics team with many opportunities CONUS and OCONUS
- Work with other forensic experts in various fields to support global forensics and biometrics labs both in the US and OCONUS.
- This contract supports the overall Identity Management concept within the military services
- Obtain some or enhance your experience working in a fully-functional government laboratory working closely with other forensics experts.
- Perform analysis of firearms, ammunition, and ammunition components; conduct microscopic comparisons of questioned bullets and cartridge cases; examine various types of manufacturer, class and individual characteristics of tools and toolmarks; conduct shooting incident reconstruction; provide training for other laboratory examiners and personnel in regard to firearm safety and proper handling techniques; and provide guidance/expertise to latent print examiners in regard to assisting them with potential locations on firearms where latent prints may be found.
- Examine captured material for any signs indicating make, model, modifications, place of origin, manufacturer or maker, and serial numbers. record these observations in the case file documentation.
- For captured material designed to fire projectiles, determine if it can safely fire projectiles.
- Clearly tag evidence item as “Safe to Fire” or “NOT Safe to Fire.”
- With a safe to fire determination, follow on-site SOPs for the discharge of a firearm for the purposes of material recovery for comparison.
- Perform administrative and technical reviews of reports and worksheets.
- Prepare written results suitable for intelligence or prosecutorial packages.
- Four (4) years of experience with the analysis of firearms, ammunition, and ammunition components; conducting microscopic comparisons of questioned bullets and cartridge cases; examining various types of manufacturer, class and individual characteristics of tools and tool marks on a variety of objects; conducting shooting incident reconstruction; providing training for other laboratory examiners and personnel in regard to firearm safety and proper handling techniques; and guidance/expertise to latent print examiners in regard to assisting them with potential locations on firearms where latent prints may be found. Experience conducting examinations while maintaining chain of custody and formulating interpretation results for forensic and/or intelligence exploitation. Experience with administrative and technical review (AR/TR) lab procedures. Experience performing quality checking of instruments and reagents. Professional certifications such as Association of Firearm and Tool Mark Examiners (AFTE). Experience with utilizing and submitting to national databases.
- US Citizen
- Able to obtain a US Secret Clearance and US Passport (those who already possess US Secret Clearance and passport preferred).
- Meet government requirements for medical fitness
- Work: Rotate between normal CONUS 40hour work schedule in Atlanta and an OCONUS work schedule up to 84 hours/week.
- Attend pre-deployment training
- Able to lift 70 lbs. to a working height of 48 inches
- Able to perform general office and laboratory duties/functions
US Clearance: Current US Secret Clearance
Who We Are
Our company values innovative and intuitive people who want to help identify and develop creative, unconventional solutions for our clients.
Innovators of creative services, solutions and products for our clients.
Intuitive to our client’s needs and desires.
Identifiers of unconventional, rapid solutions for our client’s challenges.
What We Offer+ Learning & Development
You will be encouraged to reach your full potential. You will be provided the resources to grow professionally & enhance your skills through Tuition Reimbursement & LinkedIn Learning (with unlimited access to 13,000 online training courses and videos)
You will work with very innovative and intuitive people. You will enjoy collaborating on teams that identify and develop the most impressive thought-provoking solutions and products for our clients.
You will experience the flexibility needed to balance work and manage your personal life while accomplishing great things both professionally and personally.
You will receive competitive compensation with access to a comprehensive benefits package to include generous paid time off/paid holidays and lucrative 401(k) matching with 100% vesting at the completion of your first year, plus a host of other perks.
You will be recognized & rewarded for achieving ground breaking results that lead to the continued success & growth of the company.
Meet Our Veterans
As a veteran-owned business, we understand the military culture and the qualities it takes to make it into any of the Services. Veterans are mature, reliable and honest. They know how to get along with fellow employees and customers, and truly understand what it means to be part of a team. They take pride in their work, and always get the job done while providing the truthful feedback it takes to make the right business decisions for our organization.
President & Chief Executive Officer