Forensic Document Examiner Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Dulles, VA, US
You will have the unique opportunity to work in the USPIS Forensics Laboratory alongside experienced forensics professionals across all areas of forensics supporting the USPIS mission. While learning about the USPIS mission, you will have the chance to work in a fully functional government laboratory. I-3 is a company with many forensic opportunities, and you will get first-hand knowledge of what we do and be involved in other forensics missions.
Work within the Questioned Documents Unit in a fully functioning laboratory. All work takes place in the laboratory.
- Conducts complex and sensitive forensic document examinations through the application of scientific practices for the recognition, collection, analysis, and interpretation of physical evidence for criminal and civil law or regulatory purposes utilizing the most appropriate scientific methodologies and forensic and instrumental techniques.
- Exercises independent discretion and judgment to render conclusions, form opinions and produce reports based on the examination and analysis of evidence and interpretation of scientific observations and data.
- Provides interpretations, conclusions, and opinions through expert witness testimony; produces comprehensive reports and illustrative exhibits for federal, state, and local judicial proceedings at a level sufficient to explain evidence interpretation and conclusions from forensic examinations and scientific data to a lay audience.
- Serves as a subject matter expert and technical advisor in matters relating to the proper collection, preservation, packaging, and submission of criminal evidence; participates in crime scene evidence collection activities in major field investigations; ensures evidence handling requirements are met.
- Assists with ongoing evaluation and validation of laboratory instrumentation and methods, operating protocols, and safety practices; maintains awareness of safety procedures and identifies possible physical conditions and/or laboratory procedures that may create unsafe conditions.
- Assists with planning and delivery of laboratory services, evidence collection, and field examination training.
- Designs, develops, and conducts studies and research for improving forensic analyses, scientific methods, and criminal identification procedures.
- Acts as liaison with postal management and federal, state, and local representatives on technical developments, forensic methods, and investigative problems of common interest.
- Participates in professional associations; maintains technical resource documentation.
- Education: Coursework in forensic science or document examination.
- Experience: Questioned document casework experience in a laboratory accredited to ISO-17025.
- Skills: Familiarity with instrumentation to include: Microscopes; Electrostatic Detection Devises (e.g., Electrostatic Detection Apparatus (ESDA), etc.); document analysis with UV and IR lighting/filters (e.g. Video Spectral Comparator (VSC), etc.
- Academic Society Membership: Association with forensic groups: American Academy of Forensic Science, American Society of Questioned Document Examiners, American Board of Forensic Document Examiners.
US Citizenship & Clearance: US citizenship required; ability to obtain clearance with the United States Postal Inspection Service (USPIS)
Who We Are
Our company values innovative and intuitive people who want to help identify and develop creative, unconventional solutions for our clients.
Innovators of creative services, solutions and products for our clients.
Intuitive to our client’s needs and desires.
Identifiers of unconventional, rapid solutions for our client’s challenges.
What We Offer+ Learning & Development
You will be encouraged to reach your full potential. You will be provided the resources to grow professionally & enhance your skills through Tuition Reimbursement & LinkedIn Learning (with unlimited access to 13,000 online training courses and videos)
You will work with very innovative and intuitive people. You will enjoy collaborating on teams that identify and develop the most impressive thought-provoking solutions and products for our clients.
You will experience the flexibility needed to balance work and manage your personal life while accomplishing great things both professionally and personally.
You will receive competitive compensation with access to a comprehensive benefits package to include generous paid time off/paid holidays and lucrative 401(k) matching with 100% vesting at the completion of your first year, plus a host of other perks.
You will be recognized & rewarded for achieving ground breaking results that lead to the continued success & growth of the company.
Meet Our Veterans
As a veteran-owned business, we understand the military culture and the qualities it takes to make it into any of the Services. Veterans are mature, reliable and honest. They know how to get along with fellow employees and customers, and truly understand what it means to be part of a team. They take pride in their work, and always get the job done while providing the truthful feedback it takes to make the right business decisions for our organization.
President & Chief Executive Officer